How to Treat a Yellow Jacket Sting – The most important thing to keep in mind to treat the bite of Yellow Jacket is to act quickly and seek immediate attention if you are highly allergic to stings.
Treatment for Yellow Jacket Sting
Normally, yellow jackets do not leave a stinger, but if present, use a ruler as a credit card or flat edge of a butter knife to scrape the stinger. Do not squeeze to get the stinger out or you will release more venom into your system and will make the pain worse.
To reduce swelling and help with itchy skin following a sting, try one of these solutions:
- Make a paste from a mixture of sodium bicarbonate and water and applying it to the site of sting
- Hold the ice on the affected area to reduce swelling and relieve pain and discomfort
- Dab ammonia on the area to reduce itching
- Take an antihistamine over-the-counter, such as Benadryl to relieve itching
- To help with the pain, take ibuprofen. This will also help with inflammation.
- Sting medications over-the-counter, such as swaps or ointments can also be used to treat itching and pain
Some other home remedies for treating stings include:
- Soak in a bath with Epsom salts to reduce pain, swelling, and itching
- Apply a softener meat paste, which contains enzymes that help to neutralize poison.
- Apply vinegar to the site to relieve itching
- Apply a mudpack soil and water to help take the poison
- The salt paste will also help draw the poison
When a doctor
Some people are highly allergic to yellow jacket venom, so that should always carry a sting treatment kit with them when considering any outdoor activities. If a child is the one allergic and attending school, alert the school and have a kit at school. The most common signs of an allergic reaction to a sting include:
- Difficulty swallowing
- Slurred speech
- Breathing problems
- Chest tightness
- Swelling of the tongue
If you or someone you are with experiences any of these symptoms after being bitten, it is important to seek immediate medical attention. One of the most important things to keep in mind after being stung is to act immediately.
- Flat rail instrument to scrape Stingers
- Sodium bicarbonate
- Ice Pack
Make sure your kit on occasion for any expired medications and replace as needed.
People also ask
- Yellow Jacket Sting Treatment