The child is a being in motor development, cognitive, emotional and social. Psychomotor development is a dynamic and continuous process, being constant the order of appearance of different functions. However, the speed of passage from one stadium to another varies from one child to another and consequently the age of emergence of new acquisitions also differs.
What actions can stimulate and promote the development of the newborn so that it can achieve the most of its potential?
How to stimulate the newborn?
- Take the baby and pack it gently. A rocking chair can be advised.
- Talk and sing gently with loud, low, treble, bass and soft sounds. Calling the baby by name.
- Talk about everything you’re doing: washing your hands, dressing up…
- Use Lullabies, soft instrumental music or songs with repeated melodies.
- Communicating with the baby looking in his eyes, leaning against his chest.
- Put the baby on his knees, let him grasp the indicator with his hands and talk to him.
- Hold a red ball at 20 cm and move it up and down, to the left and right, with the baby in a state of alert and head in a central position.
- Give the baby opportunity to experience different smells (flower, orange…).
- Gentle body massage always observing the baby quietly, without very elaborate movements. Do not force movements, make little pressure, not exceed 20 minutes.
- Take a lap, looking eyes in the eyes, smile, throw the tongue out, when in a state of alert.
- Offer the baby’s thumb so that it is an auto comfort and reorganize.
- Avoid hyper-stimulating environments. Watch the baby.
Primitive reflexes of newborn
Moro Reflex: With the child supported, it is suddenly a slight fall of the head (2.5 cm) resulting in abduction of upper limbs and the opening of the hands.
Suction and demand reflex (cardinal points): stimulating perioral region with the fingers observed direction of the mouth/head to the stimulated side.
Palmar Grip Reflex
Automatic gait reflex When the feet are supported on a firm surface.
Hearing and language
Fixed with the look a shiny object or human face to 30cm; You can walk slowly with the look.
Reaction to loud and sudden sounds (e.g. clapping, suddenly close the door, bells, etc.).
Any reaction is valid: blink your eyes, frown, etc.